What’s with the dead air? I had a hellacious week’s end. After work Thursday, I went to Bloomington to assist a Flash workshop. Then Ern and I saw The Guardian. (For the record, it was terrible. There were so many opportunities to end it and it would’ve been a decent film. Instead, it kept going and going and all the story lines drug on and on. It’s was horrendous! Do NOT pay to see that movie.)

It was nearly 1 a.m. by the time I started back to Indy. I was heading northbound on 37. About an eighth of a mile from 144 I saw a deer standing smack dab in the middle of my lane. I slowed down as much as I could and swerved to the left, but couldn’t avoid hitting the poor creature. I couldn’t swerve right without causing a crash. Stunned, I pulled off the road and another car followed me. The driver said, “Are you OK?” I said, “Is the deer OK?” and he shook his head. I felt AWFUL. Because I wasn’t speeding, I managed to slow down to 35 or 40 mph by the time I hit the deer. I wasn’t hurt and the damage to the Goose isn’t horrific. It’s not pretty but it’s not the end of the world. I can’t open the front passenger door and the front-right bumper and wheel area are a MESS. I felt so bad about the deer. I think the man who pulled over was an angel. He was so calm and sweet. He kept telling me that it was very fast for the deer and he didn’t feel any pain. I hope not. 😦

Angel Man suggested I relax for a few minutes and then head home and call the county police to report the accident. That way I’d have proof if there was a problem with my insurance.

By the time I got everything sorted and hit the hay, it was 3 a.m. As you can imagine, I didn’t sleep very well. I got up in the night, ate two Maraschino cherries, and went back to sleep. Then at 7:16 a.m., I apparently sent Lean a text message that read “Great thnx.” How funny is that? I didn’t realize I’d done it until later Friday morning when Lean sent me a few confused replies. I checked my outbox and found the evidence. It was only then that I vaguely remembered having had trouble finding the “X” when I’d sent the message so early in the morning. VERY bizarre.

I had an important meeting Friday morning, so I couldn’t skip work. I was a bit of a zombie all day. Friday afternoon at work is a blur. I hope I didn’t make photo copies of my booty or anything too scandalous.

After work I went home and slept slept slept. I had to get up at 6 a.m. Saturday morning to prep to teach a Photoshop workshop at 9 a.m. I was on campus by 6:30 a.m. but didn’t have the right key with me so I was locked out the freakin’ building for an hour. I took this opportunity to chat with God and ask why he felt the need to cast such a multitude of troubles on me and my family. In the last year, I’ve had 5 car incidents:

  1. Last November with Russ when we were rear-ended
  2. Last December when the crazy Mary Kay lady totaled my Civic (and I had serious injuries)
  3. This summer when the rock cracked my windshield
  4. A few weeks ago when the young buck rear-ended and ma’med me
  5. Now this!


My class went well, except my pacing was off so I ran over by a half an hour. I’ve never run over that much before but several participants said they wished the class was longer, so that made me feel good. One mean, vicious cow wanted the whole class to stop every time she got behind so she caused some problems but other than that, I got good feedback. Under the circumstances, I figured it was a miracle I didn’t speak in tongues.

Nicole’s baby shower was Saturday afternoon so after class I rushed to Babies ‘r Freakin’ Us to get a gift. I’ve never been in one of those stores – they’re impressive. I can’t believe all the shiznit they carry. I love kids and hope to have some eventually but some of the stuff they’re peddlin’ is RIDICULOUS. I mean, a wipe warmer? That just seems like nonsense.

I looked up Nicole’s registry online and found some cute puppy towels I wanted to get. Unfortunately, they were out of stock. I tried to get a puppy blanket next but they didn’t have it either. They did have a cute, super soft blanket with stars on it so I snatched it up. I topped it off with a sweet bib that read “My Mommy Rocks!”

For some reason, I thought the shower was at Nicole’s house. This myth was dispelled when the Goose squealed to a halt in front of Nicole’s house where no other cars were parked and in which no other souls could be found. I sent Rubes a text message asking where the shower was, but she didn’t know because she was at another friend’s shower. I called Nicole several times, but she didn’t answer. I’m sure she was immersed in games and gifts and guacamole. I finally gave up and left an apologetic note and her pressie just inside her screen door. It had been a rough 48 hours.

I spent the rest of my weekend sleeping, taking bubble baths, not doing laundry, eating yummy blueberry muffins, and watching part of Nowhere in Africa. I feel relatively recharged, which is good because I have a busy week ahead. I need to call the guy who rear-ended me and give him the estimate so he can pay up. I’m hoping to have that repair taken care of when I have the deer work done. My poor hoopty.

Yikes, that was a lot to dump on an unsuspecting reader. Sorry to complain. I realize I have a lot to be grateful for but the chunk of deer leavin’s shellacked to my cracked right-hand headlight still makes me cringe a little.


2 Responses to “Cursed”

  1. PastaQueen Says:

    Well, at least you made me feel a little bit better about my weekend. Having a car that intermittantly doesn’t start on the first try is preferable to one with deer guts on the headlights.

    It’s probably better that the deer died out right. It would be worse if it had been injured and you’d had to get some one to euthanize it.

  2. Kristie Says:

    I’m so sorry to hear about the deer. I can only imagine how you feel. But I am glad that you are okay and glad you had a nice guy stop.

    It seems like you have the same luck with car accidents as I do with people having cancer around me. Just our dumb luck, I guess.

    Glad you are okay.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: